The Level 1 Award in BSL (British Sign Language) is an Ofqual regulated qualification administered by Signature. Many providers are offering both online and classroom courses to suit students needs.
- Module 1 explained
- Module 2 explained
- Module 3 explained
- Course options explained
- Online course
- Online +weekly tutor sessions (Ofqual)
- Classroom course (Ofqual)
The qualification is split into 3 modules:
- Module 101 focuses on greetings and is a gentle introduction to BSL
- Module 102 focuses on widening your vocabulary so you can use BSL in conversations
- Module 103 focuses on improving your fluency so you can communicate in BSL about everyday Life.
The modules are designed to help you gain the skills and confidence in signing and understanding the signing of others.
- Greetings, fingerspelling
- Deaf Awareness
- Numbers (people, time, money and dates)
- Travel and directions
- How to ask/answer questions
- Using facial expressions in BSL
- BSL structure
- Describing people, animals and objects
- Hobbies and activities
- Food and Drink
- Number (age, time, money and calendars)
- Work and school signs
- Handshapes and placement
- Conversation skills
- Check your understanding
- Assessment practice*
Accredited or Regulated?
Be aware that in order to achieve the Level 1 Award in BSL, your course needs to be regulated by Ofqual. That means you need to complete the recommended 60+ hours tutor guided hours plus 20+ hours of personal study. It doesn’t matter if you do your course online or face to face in a classroom, the key takeaway is that you need to complete tutor guided hours. However, there is nothing stopping you from completing an online course and then counting a centre to complete your assessments.
Below is a list of BSL Level 1 courses that you can complete online.
The amount of content and time needed can be overwhelming so why not try an online BSL Basics course instead! There are plenty of online providers that provide lots of content in bite-size manageable chunks. Sign up for our newsletter to find out about offers, news of practice sessions and much more.